We’re well into fall now, and with fall comes the obvious excitement over wearing your best plaid, putting on your coziest skinnies and lacing up your tattered Docs. (Did you expect me to list Pumpkin Spiced Lattes in there? I might not seem overly exciting, but I’m not that basic of a bitch, k thx.)

Another telltale sign that it’s fall is the deluge of butternut squash soups that are all up in your face via social media. Whether it be your uninspired aunt sharing recipes on Facebook, or that annoying friend who is constantly posting her lunch on Instagram (hi, that’d be me), there’s a squash soup takeover and I’m spilling some of it here onto Effort-Lez.

red-curry-and-coconut-squash-soup-3

You’re welcome.

First and foremost, let me just say that I’m extremely grateful that Natasha has asked me to contribute monthly recipes to Effort-Lez. Sometimes I think it’s because of my fish-frenzied pescetarian diet — if ya know what I mean — but hopefully the reason for my contribution is more to do with the fact that my eats are tasty AF and less to do with the fact that she wants me to blog about fish tacos.

My diet is peso-vegetarian, which is mostly plant-based but includes seafood and fish. All of my seafood is sustainably sourced because that, my friends, is mega important. You can learn more about that at my blog, killingthyme.net.

I live by the 80/20 rule: 80 per cent of the time I’m eating what’s hip + healthy, while the other 20 per cent of the time I’m mowing down chips and 4 oz of chile con queso by myself because it’s #TacoTuesday and fuck it, amirite? So if you’re down with that sort of eating habit, we’ll be friends.

Now let’s get down to biz.

Butternut squash makes for an amazing soup. This is not news. However, the majority of recipes out there are blending their squash with other veggies, mostly onions, and maybe some nutmeg here and there. Why? Because all of that works swimmingly. SWIMMINGLY. Let the butternut shine! But this recipe shines on a whole new level. If you dig the earthy and rich flavors of butternut squash, the kick from red curry + the creaminess of coconut milk, meet your new fave.

red-curry-and-coconut-squash-soup-4

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp of ginger, freshly grated
  • 2 tbsp red curry paste
  • 1 butternut squash
  • 1 roasted red pepper, sliced (roasted yourself or from a jar, either work)
  • 14 oz of coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • Juice of one lime

OPTIONAL GARNISHES

  • Sliced scallions
  • Toasted + salted squash seeds

DIRECTIONS

  • Peel the squash, cut in half, and clean out the seeds.
  • Set seeds aside if you plan to use them as garnish.
  • Cut the squash into cubes. Set aside.
  • In a large stockpot, melt the coconut oil over moderate-low heat.
  • Add the minced garlic, chopped onion and ginger.
  • Sautee until garlic is fragrant and onions are tender, stirring often to prevent browning.
  • Add curry paste and stir to coat onions, approx. 1-2 minutes.
  • Bring heat to moderate.
  • Add the butternut squash cubes, roasted red pepper, coconut milk and milk.
  • Stir to coat.
  • Bring the mixture to a simmer.
  • Let simmer for approx. 10-15 minutes or until squash is tender and can be easily pierced with a knife.
  • Remove from heat, and carefully transfer the soup contents to a blender or food processor. 
  • Blend until smooth.
  • Add the lime juice and stir to combine.
  • Serve + garnish with sliced scallions, toasted squash seeds or microgreens.

 

Share on FacebookShare on StumbleUponTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrPin on Pinterest

About The Author

Contributor

Dana Sandonato is a coffee-reliant freelance food writer + blogger with a healthy appetite, a taste for culinary adventure, a thirst for good beers and an endless hunger for food photography. Dana is exuberant, unswerving, funny and loving with a sparkling dash of misanthropy. Dana grew up in Canada and recently relocated to the hot and sticky South — North Carolina. She’s a total sucker for bottle shops, craft breweries, Angry Orchard ciders, animals, outer space and everything 80s/90s. Her three favourite words in the entire world are, “the pizza’s here.”

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.